Pipeline Engineering Lead
Grip (www.grip.tools) is web-based software that automatically produces visual content for physical goods. Grip supports brands to cope with the fast-accelerating challenge of the exponential grow and need for content. It’s based on photorealistic 3D, capitalising on INDG’s twenty-year-long experience in that field. 3D is good because once your beer or your juicer or your rocket is on Grip, it can be used and re-used for multiple media: images, videos, iOS apps, and such.
As our new Pipeline & Rendering Engineering Lead you will work in close collaboration with the rest of our R&D Team, our Artists and the Grip Software Development Team. You and the team will be responsible to define, architect and develop the core of our production and automation pipeline – the actual heart of Grip’s capability to create and deliver product images at unpreceded scale and quality.
You will be spearheading our Graphics development projects, mentoring colleagues and provide first-hand technical and automated solutions for our artists and the eco system behind Grip. Together with our Development and Operations teams you will also ensure the pipeline is well setup and working at max efficiency.
Automation is at your heart, and you aren’t shy for developing code to do so. Surely, creating an automated and state-of-the-art pipeline for breathtaking visual result is the number one goal for all your development work, but you also understand deeply the inner aspects of Computer Graphics, Rendering, Modelling, Compositing and further aspects of 3D content production at scale. It is your passion to combine your knowledge in these areas with automation driven by code, inside and outside of 3D applications.
What will you be doing?
- In close collaboration with our CTO and different technical and artistic teams define, develop and run the next version of our rendering technology (both from a creative tooling & pipeline perspective and our end-user software).
- Guiding and make pipeline technology choices and define the future architecture of our technology platform.
- Close collaboration with our Grip development and technical teams to identify shared (technical) approaches.
- Collaborating with our artists to develop the tools and automation they need.
- Build, test & deploy frequent changes and updates to the pipeline.
- Document and possibly train artists to use the pipeline, pick up enhancements and implement directly.
Would be amazing if you have:
- 7+ years of experience in Computer Graphics and Science discipline (ideally as a M.Sc. / PhD) or 3+ years of practical experience in Computer Graphics industry in a similar role (with CG and Science focus)
- Hands on software engineering and architecture (basic)
- Experience in the visual effects or computer animation industry
- Experience developing tools and/or plugins within industry software packages such as Maya, 3DS Max, Houdini and/or Nuke
- Experience with VRay, Cycles and/or Arnold
- Strong knowledge of Python / TypeScript / MaxScript / MEL / Blink and/or related scripting languages
- Experience working with revision control systems and defined coding standards
- In-depth PBR knowledge including industry standard definitions such as Disney Principled BRDF, Unreal shading model, ADMF and/or similar
- VFX, visualization, Feature Animation or Episodic production experience
- Experience developing and running pipelines on Windows / Linux
- Upper-Intermediate English level
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of RESTful APIs
- Experience developing Cloud native pipelines
- Knowledge of the VFX Reference Platform