Tech Lead Architect (remote friendly)
At INDG we develop technology that enables engaging, hyper-realistic digital product experiences. Our goal is to make "every product playable", by combining the science of technology with the artistry of computer-generated content. Our offices are in Amsterdam, Bucharest and New York. Clients include Adidas, Yamaha, Ralph Lauren, Electrolux, and Philips.
Our CG artists, interactive designers, and developers focus on creating virtual versions of our clients' products, so lifelike it feels like you could reach out and touch them.
Our culture brings together creative, tech and business individuals. It’s a heady cocktail that keeps us inspired, empowered and passionate.
Grip is web-based solution that automatically generates visual content. It’s based on photorealistic 3D, capitalizing on INDG’s fifteen-year-long experience in that field. 3D is good because once your beer or your juicer or your rocket is on Grip, it can be used and re-used for multiple media: images, videos, iOS apps, and such.
This vision has worked quite well with clients: in less than two years, Grip won Coca-Cola, Nivea, Heineken, L'Oreal and others. As you can imagine, working with these companies requires knowing why, when and how they produce the thousands of visuals we've been trying to automate. Now, Grip is changing every day to accommodate the things we learn.
Looking for a Tech Lead Architect
Because of the fast growth, Grip's code ages very quickly. And so, we face the following:
- Even though young, Grip's changing very fast and its codebase is probably very suboptimal. This has to be addressed.
- New data and feature requests come from the clients. Not only they need to be incorporated precisely and quickly; the code has to become future-proof so that more features and data could be accommodated.
- All of the above must be explainable in simple terms to clients and colleagues alike, all of whom have zero knowledge of how software architecture works.
Naturally, Grip also needs to develop. We are close to start generating videos and you will see more ambitious tasks in the roadmap. Most of them have no ready-made solutions.
Skills and traits we're looking for
Understanding of imaging technologies. Grip is a piece of software that renders 3D models into images and videos. On all levels, it deals with things like transparency, layers, specks, color models, image formats and so on. So, we're looking for someone, who, at some point of their career, was involved with images: be it 3D, design, automated processing or anything else. Please mention this experience in your cover letter if you have it.
- 7+ years of experience.
- Experience building massive distributed backend systems.
- It is highly likely you'll have to write code, too. So, an active GitHub account is a bonus.
- Deep understanding and provable experience of cloud architecture: AWS, GCP, Azure is a bonus.
- Provable experience building enterprise-targeted software.
Communication and mentoring skills. Grip is a daughter project of INDG (http://indg.com) which is an agency and a 3D production house. A lot of people you'll deal with will have agency thinking. Sometimes, you'll have to mentor them in simple terms of proper development practices. In other words, you have to enjoy mentoring.
Experience leading heterogeneous teams. Some people you'll talk to will be creati people, not engineers people.
Here is our stack. The more experience you had working with its parts, the better. If you did, please mention this in the cover letter.
Backend: C#, .NET (Core preferred)
Frontend: React, WebGL
DevOps infrastructure: Git, Lerna, Azure Pipelines
3D pipeline: 3ds Max - based, V-Ray
The job is full-time. If you're already in the Netherlands, you're welcome to work in the development office. If not, we'll offer to work remotely with the possibility of relocation after a year—naturally, only if you want it. Either way, we'll take care of all the formalities that you'll require. All the internal communication is in English.
What you should expect of the hiring process
- We don't use automated CV-checking systems. Each CV is looked through by a recruiter with 10+ years of engineering experience. We are not doing any IQ or personality tests.
- Given you know nothing about Grip, we're fine if your cover letter is just a sentence or two. What we need from it is highlights of your career that are particularly relevant to us.
- Since every CV response is typed by a human, it might take us from two to four weeks to get back to you.
- The first interview we do is 'passive'. Its purpose is to tell you more about Grip so you could decide if you want to pursue this position further. It includes a visual demonstration of Grip.
- You are very likely to be asked to write some code after two interviews. You will get feedback about your code regardless of the outcome.